With the 4th of July just around the corner, here is our idea of the perfect day:
- Raise a flag: Patriotism starts with your colors. So what better way to kick of the 4th of July than raising your flag? It is customary to fly the flag dawn to dusk, so make sure you get an early start! There are a few rules based around how to do this properly. When raising your flag, you want to raise it BRISKLY and with purpose. When lowering at sunset, you want to lower slowly and ceremoniously.
- Get out for a morning hike: Now that you're awake, raise the family, the kids, the dogs, and head out for a morning hike. Take on one of our beautiful State Parks, and enjoy nature. See: 7 Benefits of Hiking.
- Picnic on the beach: If you're lucky enough to live on the coast, or by a lake, pack a picnic and head to the beach. A great healthy lunch after a solid morning hike really goes a long way! See: Eating for Exercise & Recovery
- Go Surfing: After your lunch has settled, and the surf is breaking just right, go grab a wave and hang 10! The beaches may be busy though, so watch your lines.
- Take the kids for a bike ride: If surfing isn't your cup of tea, grab the bikes and take a spin through the park. We all know you're going to pig out at the BBQ later tonight, so you mine as well burn off a few extra calories so you can indulge guilt free!
- BBQ baby: Speaking of which... We think this one speaks for its self. From prawns to corn, hot dogs to steak, and homemade slow cooked ribs to cake... The BBQ truly is the 'icing on the cake'. See: 15 4th of July BBQ Recipes To Try
- Play a game of flag football: After the burgers are down, dishes put away, food has settled, rally the teams, and get a game of flag football going. Instead of tackling each other, the offensive team puts a piece of cloth or bandanna in their pants, and the defensive team tries to remove them. You could even make your own Vince Lombardi Trophy out of tinfoil, a football, and a milk jug.
- End the day with a bang: Fireworks are a 4th of July staple. While most cities do have government run shows, if you choose to do your own, please be careful and stay safe.
BONUS: Top 10 USA State Parks in No Particular Order
- Hunting Island State Park, South Carolina
- Custer State Park, South Dakota
- Assateague State Park, Maryland
- Indiana Dunes State Park, Indiana
- Fall Creek Falls State Park, Tennessee
- Devil's Lake State Park, Wisconsin
- Ha Ha Tonka State Park, Missouri
- Watkins Glen State Park, New York
- Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, Michigan
- Letchworth State Park, New York