Happy Birthday Canada! What is it, 149? You're still looking mighty fine. From your tall old-growth forests, to the rockiest mountains, and the greatest of lakes, O' Canada, you sure are spectacular.
To celebrate our birthday, here are the biggest events happening arund the country:
- Ottawa: Join us for the biggest Canada Day celebration in the country! This giant patriotic party takes place on the lawns of Parliament Hill, Major's Hill Park, at the Canadian Museum of History, and on the closed streets of downtown. The festivities start at 9 AM sharp with the flag raising ceremony, Snowbird's demonstration, and entertainment for the entire family. Finish the day off with a massive fireworks display and free concerts from Alex Cuba, Indian City, Metric, Alex Nevsky, and Les Hay Babies.
- Halifax: Take to the east, and put on your finest red and white. Gather a crew and hop on the ferry to Dartmouth and attend the biggest free concert of the year at Alderney Landing. The concert will include the likes of Vancouver's Dear Rouge, Born Ruffians, Kid Koala, Yukon Blonde, and Reeny Smith. Top it all off with a massive fireworks display set off in the Halifax Harbour.
- Niagra Falls: Get out and get active with the 5KM Run/Walk for St. John Ambulance at Oakes Park. Run starts at 9:00 AM. Follow that up with the swearing in on the citizenship ceremony at the Seneca Queen theater, concerts in front of the Niagra Falls Library, or head over and check out the parade. Getting hungry? Free birthday cake at the City Hall main stage on Queen Stree. Walk the vendors and the art show. There's even a Lego Land for the kids! Finish the day off with Fireworks in Wueen Victoria Park at 10:00 PM.
- Vancouver: This West Coast town, and our home base, will be alive and well for the July 1st celebrations. Bring the family down to Granville Island for the official Canada Day ceremony, Lobster Man cookout, live jazz, and the South Asian cultural fair. Head over to Canada Place for a free Waterfront Party that includes live music on three stages (Hannah Georgas, Hairgarmers, Watasun), and the official Canada Day Parade. Can't make it downtown? Head out to Surrey for the biggest Canada Day celebration in western Canada, and one of the biggest outdoor concerts in B.C. and fireworks celebration for FREE!
- Calgary: #OCanadaYYC is the place to be. More than 250,000 people are expected to join us to celebrate the day in downtown Calgary. With the Armed Forces, Living Flag, Aboriginal showcase on Prince's Island, live music, on Riverfront Avenue, and Fireworks, Calgary will certainly be alive!
- Montreal: Come celebrate Canada Day in the Old Port. We will gather to commemorate the 175th anniversary of Sir Wilfrid Laurier's birthday, the 175th anniversary of the election of Robert Baldwin and Louis-Hyppolite La Fontaine, the 150th birthday of the first Fenian invasion, and the 100th anniversary of the women's suffrage. From fireworks, to cake, to a 21-cannon salute, the Old Port will be the place to be!
- Edmonton: Fireworks galore in the capital of Alberta. Starting at 11 PM, head to River Valley Road, Queen Elizabeth Park Road, or 109 Street (Between Saskatchewan and High Level Bridge) for the best views in the city.
- Victoria: With bands like Mother Mother, George Leach, Radio Radio and more coming out to rock the capital of British Columbia – the harbor town of Victoria will be rocking, that's for sure! Can't make it out? Turn into the live radio feed at The Zone 91.3 or 100.3 The Q.
Best Provincial Parks to Explore
- Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park, British Columbia (website)
- Pacific Rim National Park Reserve, British Columbia (website)
- Peter Lougheed Provincial Park, Alberta (website)
- Grasslands National Park, Saskatchewan (website)
- Good Spirit Lake Provincial Park, Saskatchewan (website)
- Athabasca Sand Dunes Provincial Park, Saskatchewan (website)
- Souris River Valley, Manitoba (website)
- Killarney Provincial Park, Ontario (website)
- Parc National Du Mont-Tremblant, Quebec (website)
- Fundy National Park, New Brunswick (website)
- Cape Breton Highlands National Park, Nova Scotia (website)
- New Glasgow Highlands Campground, Prince Edward Island (website)
- Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland And Labrador (website)
Did we miss anything? Let us know on Twitter. Happy Canada Day everyone!